Tanvir Hashem Munim
Head of the Chambers
Barrister Tanvir Hashem Munim is the Head of the Chambers at ‘Munim and Associates’. He obtained his LLB (Hons) from the University of London after completing Diploma in Law from the same University. He then obtained his Post Graduate Diploma in ‘Professional Legal Skills’ from the City University, London upon successfully completing his Bar Vocational Course from the City Law School, City University, London. Thereafter, in 2009, he was called to the Bar by The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn. Barrister Munim passed his LLM with distinction from the Nottingham Law School, Nottingham Trent University, UK. Barrister Munim is an advocate of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh. He is a member of Bangladesh Supreme Court Bar Association, Chittagong District Bar Association and Chittagong Income Taxes Bar Association. He is an associate fellow of the Society of Advanced Legal Studies (SALS), University of London.
Barrister Munim is the first Bangladeshi listed counsel of the International Criminal Court (ICC). He is also a listed counsel of the United Nations International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (UN-IRMCT). He is a regular member of the Association of Defence Counsel, practising before the International Courts and Tribunals (ADC-ICT), the Hague. Barrister Munim is a defence counsel before the International Crimes Tribunal, Bangladesh (ICT-BD).
Barrister Munim is a regular practitioner in the courts of Bangladesh. His specialization includes, amongst other, Civil and Criminal Litigation, Judicial Review, Human Rights, International Criminal Law, International Human Rights Law, International Commercial Law, Mediation and Arbitration, and Employment Law. Barrister Munim enjoys lecturing on law and has lectured part time in the UK and in Bangladesh.
Some Significant Contributions:
- Advised and defended individual clients in cases involving allegation of Trade Based Money Laundering in the context of the International Sale of Goods that involved HSBC, Anti-Corruption Commission, Bangladesh Bank, Union Bank of India, amongst others.
- Defended two (2) defendants before the International Crimes Tribunal, Bangladesh (ICT-BD) against allegation of War Crimes, Genocide etc.
- Presently defending one (1) defendant before the International Crimes Tribunal, Bangladesh (ICT-BD) against allegation of War Crimes, Genocide etc.
- Presently working for some Rohingya victims’ participation in the trial before the ICC that may start upon completion of the investigation in the situation in Bangladesh/Myanmar (ICC-01/19)
- Presently representing a victim of a child murder before the Trial Court and the High Court Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh (Pro-Bono). Successful judgment from the High Court Division for further investigation has been won already. The incident was highly televised in national media and there was nationwide protests held to bring the perpetrators before justice.
- Presently representing a defendant before the Trial Court and Supreme Court of Bangladesh against charges of Cyber Crime, Terrorism etc. The arrest and trial of the defendant has been a subject of much discussion in national media.
- Advised and won writ petition on service matter for client against the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Defence and Ministry of Establishment
- Advised on Staff disputes of Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG) and Chevron
- Advised Multinational Bank regarding Offshore Banking Unit (OBU) in Bangladesh
- Advised and successfully pleaded for corporations and banks in amending their constitutions before the Supreme Court of Bangladesh
- Advised and successfully stayed proceedings of auction of expensive properties for different clients
- Advised and represented Clients in complex maritime issues pending before Arbitration Tribunal in London, UK
- Advised on complex cross-border international sale of goods contract in the context of renewable energy industry
- Advised and successfully negotiated foreign clients in international commercial law matter that led to withdrawal of the opponent’s case before the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh
- Advised and Obtained rule for retired casual personnel of Military Engineering Services for retrospective regularization providing pension and service benefits
- Won writ petitions pertaining for regularization of around 50 (fifty) casual personnel of Military Engineering Services for their regularization
- Advised multi-national waste management company headquartered in the USA in expanding their business in South Asia
- Advised multi-national waste management company headquartered in the USA on inter-states licensing and consultancy agreement
- Continuously contributed to the ‘Doing Business’ project of World Bank Group for the last 3 (three) years
Mobile: +88 01943699187
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org